DARMASISWA RI SCHOLARSHIP is a scholarship programme offered to all foreign students from countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia to study Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian Language), traditional music, traditional dance and Indonesian crafts. Candidates can choose 1 out of 46 universities in which the programme is carried out (see here). These universities are located in different cities in Indonesia. The programme is organized by the Ministry of Education and Culture (MoEC) in cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA).
The programme was started in 1974 as part of ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) initiative, initially admitting only students from ASEAN. However, in 1976 the program was extended to include students from other countries such as Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hungary, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Sweden and USA. In the early 90’s, the programme was further more extended to include all countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia. To date, the number of countries participating in the program is more than 75 countries.
The main purpose of the DARMASISWA programme is to increase and foster the interest in Bahasa Indonesia and Indonesian Culture among the youth of other countries. It has also been designed to enhance mutual understanding and provide stronger cultural links among participating countries.
The interest of international students in participating the programme keep on increasing year by year. In 2011, we offer to 750 students who would like to participate in the programme as can be seen in the following table:
|Year||Number of Participants||Number of Countries|
1. Regular 1 (One) Year Programme
Regular One Year programme is a one-year scholarship programme offered to foreign students from countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia to study Bahasa Indonesia, Art (traditional music, traditional dance and craft), Culinary and Tourism in selected Indonesian Higher Education Institutions.
2. Regular 6 (Six) Month Programme
Regular six-months programme is a six-month scholarship programme offered to foreign students from countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia to study Bahasa Indonesia in selected Indonesian Higher Education Institutions.
The monthly allowance is Rp 2.000.000,00 (two millions rupiahs), and will be transferred to the university/college where participant is studying. The allowance includes:
|1.||Living Cost||Rp. 1.200.000,-|
|2.||Book Allowance||Rp. 200.000,-|
|3.||Local Transport||Rp. 200.000,-|
|4.||Medical/Health Care||Rp. 200.000,-|
|5.||Pocket Money||Rp. 200.000,-|
The participant is advised to bring enough money in US dollar for unexpected additional expenses in Indonesia.
1. Not more than 35 years of age
2. Completed secondary education or its equivalent
3. In good health as proved by Medical Certificate
4. Able to communicate in English and additional Bahasa Indonesia is required
5. Have a basic knowledge of the field they’re applying for
1. Completed admission application form
2. Copy of passport valid at least 18 months from time of arrival in Indonesia
3. Legalised copy of Certificate/Diploma
4. Recommendation letter from Institution of Higher Education
5. Recommendation letter from the Embassy/Consulate General Republic of Indonesia
6. Scan Passport size color photograph
7. Curriculum Vitae
The Ministry of Education and Culture (MoEC) will not provide health insurance; therefore the participants are expected to have the International insurance.
The Ministry of Education and Culture (MoEC) doesn’t provide for the return International airfare ticket.
|1.||Registration||Early December – End of January
|2.||Selection||Early February – End of March|
|Regular 6 Month Program||September – February The Next Year|
|Regular 1 Year Program||September – July The Next Year
1. Fill out the application forms available at the Indonesian Embassy or Consulate General in the country of residence.
2. The application forms should be submitted together with:
3. The applicants’ documents will be submitted by the Indonesian Embassy to the Directorate of Public Diplomacy, Department of Foreign Affairs or the Bureau of Planning and International Cooperation, Ministry of National Education (MoNE), addressed to:
Head of Bureau of Planning and International Cooperation, Secretariat General, Ministry of National Education (MoNE)
Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, Senayan
Gedung C, Lantai 6
Phone: (021) 572-4707
4. The applicants’ documents will be selected every March for program commencing in September of the following year by a team consisting of officials from:
5. The results will be communicated to the successful applicants by the Indonesian Embassy or Consulate General or through website in April.
The application process is explained as follow:
1. The applicants’ documents that have been sent directly to the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General will be selected through file selection process (step 1) by the Ministry of Education and Culture, as well as Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General in the country of residence or accreditation.
2. For those who pass the first selection process will be asked to have an interview selection process (step 2) by the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General in the country of residence or accreditation.
3. The applicants’ documents who have been selected/passed by the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General will be submitted to the Bureau of Planning and International Cooperation, Ministry of Education and Culture.
4. Applicants who pass through the interview selection at the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General will have the final selection (step 3) of academic selection that will be done by the Ministry of Education and Culture, and Institutions of Higher Education.
Application forms: http://darmasiswa.kemdikbud.go.id/darmasiswa/?page_id=616